Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sew Bossy

A while back, Paige of Lux Per Diem asked if I would join up with her for a Sew Bossy challenge! And I said yes! Sew Bossy is the brain child of Oona of Oonaballoona and Heather Lou from Closet Case Files. In short, you get to plan a sewing project for another seamstress, sending them the pattern, fabric and notions that they have to sew up.






Paige sent me McCall's 6696, a darling shirtwaist dress pattern. (To see what I sent her, go here.)





And here's my version:


I just adore shirtwaist dresses! So classic! This pattern came with separate pieces for A, B, C, and D cup sizes and I decided to give it a whirl without an FBA. And it came out great!


I have to admit that I was a bit nervous before I started. It's been so long since I've sewn with a Big 4 pattern that I really had to pay attention and think through sizing again.


It turned out quite nicely though. I just adore that this dress has pockets! I also love wearing this dress with a belt to help break up the print a bit.


Today I went for a retro casual look rather than full on vintage. This dress is great for walking on either side of that line.


Thanks, Paige, for being Sew Bossy!

10 comments:

  1. Very cute, and I love that print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out great! I'm glad you like it! The belt looks really good with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! I have that pattern and I'm excited to know that it comes out so well. That print is fabulous. I've been desperately trying to find a tropical rayon print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fabric is from JoAnn's. I'm not sure of the fabric content though. I do have some fab tropical rayon print that I'm working with right now but it came from the garment district in LA so that's probably not very helpful for you.

      Delete
  4. I love a good shirtwaist dress with pockets too. You're so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fabulous dress! love it :) I'm also doing a sew bossy challenge and am just about ready to send off my package. I can't wait to see what I get to make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea for a sewing project (I think I might have to give that same kind of idea a spin with some of my paper crafting friends). Your dress turned out awesomely and is so fun (and summery!). I really agree that it can work well in either a full on vintage setting or a more retro inspired one.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress! What an achievement! Congratulations! It really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I'm so happy I saw these! You guys did an amazing job of playing to each other's strengths (green on a redhead, always). And tiger lilies are my most favourite of flowers of all time so I am trying to contain my jealousy that you are COVERED IN THEM!

    ReplyDelete