Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tutorial: DYI Parakeet Activity Center

Ever since my parakeets started playing with my fabric scraps, I've wanted to make them a fabric activity center. It's a bit outside of what I usually blog about, but I'm pretty excited about it.

Supplies:

About 1/2 yd of fabric
Thread
Assorted fabric/yarn/beads etc.




 Start with your fabric and cut a nice long rectangle.


Press!


Attach your scrap toys. I have some strips of fabric with pinked edges, a flap with a button hole, some hemp...Be creative!


Pin any floppy bits out of the way so they won't get accidentally sewn into the seam.


Fold the fabric right sides together and sew along the edge using 1/2" seam allowance. Leave a couple inches open for turning.


Pink seam allowances and clip corners.


Turn, press and slip stitch opening closed.


Don't forget to remove any pins before you let your birds on it!


Now set out your play area where your keets can get to it.


I like to encourage my birds to investigate something new by putting some millet on it.

5 comments:

  1. That is very cute! I bet they like trying something new out. My cat gets super excited when we move furniture around. It's like a whole new place for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Most people don't realise just how much stimulation these little critters need. Our budgies used to be very fond of shredding cardboard. A stack of carboard squares poked onto their perch would keep them happy for hours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So darling that you have super little workmates to help lend a wing! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good idea!! I have something similar with little activity areas for our keets, with cork, braided bird-friendly reed, some fabric, some cardboard, etc. All kinds of things for them to play with, destroy, chew, etc.

    ReplyDelete